We want to share the lesson of the day with everyone
Static electricity in Petrol Stations
As a continuation of the video about static electricity in which a girl had a fire accident on getting out of her car and directly touching the nosepiece, we come across a similar case:
如影片所撥放, 一位女士在加油時, 當加油槍的噴嘴碰到車子產生靜電, 而造成了一場火災. 我們也曾經碰到過這種意外.
With the generalisation of self-service facilities in petrol stations people should be warned about the outbreak of fires resulting from static electricity while they are pouring in petrol.
在加油站自助加油時, 當在正在加油時, 人們要特別注意由於靜電造成的火災意外.
150 cases of this type of fire have been investigated and the results were very surprising.
1. Of the 150 cases, more happened to women than men, due to their habit of getting in and out of the vehicle while the petrol is being poured in.
2. In the majority of cases the people had re-entered their cars when the hose was still pouring petrol out (the danger of the triggers on the nosepieces). When they finished refuelling and got out to remove the hose pistol the fire began, as a result of the static electricity.
在大多數的案例中發現, 加油管仍在加油中(此時有觸發噴嘴的危險), 人們在此期間會進入車內, 當油加滿時, 人從車內出來要拔出加油槍時, 最易因靜電造成火災.
3. The majority of those affected used rubber-soled footwear and clothes of synthetic fibres.
4. Never use mobile phones when filling up with fuel.
5. It is well known that it is the vapour that comes from the petrol that burns and causes the fire when it makes contact with static charges.
6. In twenty-nine of the cases analysed, the people re-entered their vehicles and later touched the pistols during the petrol fuelling process. This happened in cars of different varieties of makes and models.
其中有29個案例, 是加油時人們進入車內, 再從車中出來拿油槍時發生意外. 各種車型和廠牌的車都有.
7. Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the cap of the petrol tank was removed and before starting to fill up with petrol.
8. The static charge often results from when a passenger rubs their clothes against the upholstery of the seats on getting in or out of the vehicle. To avoid this, it is recommendable that NOBODY gets in or out of the vehicle while the petrol is being poured in. Movement in or out should only be done BEFORE starting, or when the fuelling is finished and the petrol cap placed.
靜電經常是當人們進出車時, 衣服和座椅摩擦所產生的, 因此我們適當的建議, 在油管正加進行時請勿進出車子.
9. MAXIMISE THE PRECAUTIONS if the petrol has spilt or splashed onto the ground. Highly inflammable vapours are immediately produced which can be ignited by sparks of static electricity from the turning on of electronic equipment (mobile phones, remote controls, etc.) or by the ignition of the vehicle itself. BEFORE starting up the engine again, the spilt petrol must be gathered or neutralised by the petrol station staff.
當油濺到地上時, 更需要注意.開啟電器設備(行動電話, 遙控裝置等) 或汽車本身造成的靜電都會造成油氣的點燃. 必須要等加油站工作人員將濺出的油清理乾淨後, 才可以再發動汽車引擎.
IN YOUR VEHICLE: Stop, put the handbrake on and turn off the engine, radio and lights
停車, 拉起手剎車,關掉引擎, 收音機和電燈.
NEVER: Never return to your vehicle while you are pouring in fuel.
AS A PRECAUTION: Get used to closing the car door on getting out or into the vehicle and in this way the static electricity will be discharged on touching something metallic.
After closing the door TOUCH THE METAL PART OF THE BODYWORK before touching the petrol pump pistol. By doing this the static electricity in your body will be discharged on the metal and not on the pistol.
RESPECT THE SAFETY REGULATIONS
As mentioned, we undertake this as a daily task, both inside and outside the company. The following bulletin aims to raise public awareness of this danger.
無論是否在公司都要奉行此規定, 此訊息的目的在提醒大家加油時要注意, 以免造成危險.
I ask you to send this information to ALL your friends and family, especially those carrying children in the cars when pouring in petrol. Thank you for passing on this information.
Shell is Safety